Monday, June 14, 2010

Don't give up

I just got home from the orthopedic doctor and I am typing this wellness update with one hand. I was given the unfortunate diagnosis of wrist tendonitis. Tendonitis is doctor speak for, “There is nothing I can do. Get ready to ingest your weights worth of ibuprofen because this ain’t getting better any time soon.”

If that’s not clinical enough for you, tendonitis is the inflammation of the tendon/s in a joint and it is usually caused by overuse. It is also extremely painful and super slow to heal. I am sure many of you will be able to commiserate with me. It’s pretty common to get it in the wrist, elbow (tennis elbow), ankle or knee.

Because it is also so very painful I am unable to perform the most basic of wrist movements. This has obviously given me a new perspective on my health. Having an injury is terrible and it can become an excuse to get down, apathetic and even depressed. My entire exercise routine is out. I can’t do push-ups or sun salutations or even basic bicep curls. I can’t lift weights for my clients and I can barely tie my own shoelaces.

So basically, these are my options:

  • Give up
  • Don’t give up

Here is my case for Give up:

“My wrist really hurts and I hate this. I hate change. It took me so long to get that exercise routine that I love into my daily ritual and now I have to give it up. I don’t like any of the other kinds of exercise. I don’t have time to hire a trainer or watch a new DVD or learn something new. I am scared, really scared of trying a new exercise. What if I get hurt again? What if it’s my other wrist? What if I try a new exercise and I am really bad at it or it’s too hard? I would rather just stay at home and feel sorry for myself and eat ice cream and be miserable because having an injury is sucky times 100 and I am over it.”

Here is my case for Don’t give up:

“Wait a minute I almost forgot that I exercise for many reasons and wanting to have sculpted arms is only a very small one. I would miss the energy I get from brisk walks or the burn I feel from squats. This is a perfect opportunity to try something new. Maybe I should take that dance class, no need to put weight on my hands there. Perhaps I need to slow down and listen to my body more and work on adapting my movements to help my wrist heal, instead of yelling at it for being sore. I move so fast and I am constantly on the go, it’s no wonder I hurt myself. If my body has to induce pain in order for me to slow down, ask for help and take care of my body than I had better listen to it. Maybe it’s time to add exercises into my life that are healing, not hurting”

I am not saying that it isn't awful to have an injury. It is. That’s why you should say my trusty give up speech (or one of your own) out loud should you ever be unfortunate to have something keeping you from moving. And then when that’s good and out of your system I would like you to say your reasons to not give up. Feel free to use mine or write one of your own. Make sure to say it out loud. Then, I recommend you take a nice long look at your super speed life style, move a step back, smell some roses, take a deep breath and find something you can do that doesn’t involve you elbow, ankle, shoulder or whatever. Then, you should do it.

Oh, and don’t forget to ice it too.

Be Good to your Body, it’s where you Live

1 comment:

  1. To: Jevo de sarah: I wish you could insert here a certain cartoon that you drew for me on a clipboard of a motivation style that doesn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete