Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Seasoning

Today, for one moment, the earth’s axis was tilted as much towards the sun as it will be all year. Summer solstice marks the longest day and the shortest night of the year, the day when summer begins.

I had the pleasure of sitting outside in the sun today for about 30 minutes while Coco ran around the dog park and there was something special about the sun today. There was wind, yes (it’s San Francisco) and I was bundled up, but I tilted my head and closed my eyes and felt that the sun was there just for me, just for that moment.

In Latin, the solstice is called Sol Sistere, which means, sun that stands still.

Usually you will hear of parties and BBQ’s and giant celebrations for the solstice. It used to be an even more exciting event because it signified all those yummy summer fruits and vegetables were finally here. Now because we have imported peaches all year round, we forget that they are seasonal.

Today while I was enjoying that glorious moment of stillness I started musing about seasonal foods. When we eat foods that are seasonal we are nourishing our bodies with the food that was made from the same sun that nourishes us. Ok, I know that food grown in Spain is being grown with the same sun. There is only one. But when I think about the dirt and the land and the water and the air and all the other factors that go into the farming of a sweet pepper or a tomato, it just kind of makes me smile to think I could be eating a tomato that was hydrated with the same water I drink. Or I could be savoring a plum grown in the same air that I breathe. I wonder which vegetables were being given life by the still sun as it nourished me today? I bet those are some damn fine vegetables.

This week and for the rest of the summer I invite you to try eating seasonally. Eating seasonally doesn’t mean you have to spend your paycheck on organic watermelons from the ferry building farmers market. There are local farmers markets where you can pick up some really good deals. This website local harvest, lets you search for markets in your zip code and then gives you a little description about it. I quite like the one here at UCSF on Wednesdays.

Something to think about is if you are buying from a farmers market you probably don’t need to buy 10 of something. The taste of a freshly picked peach is so exquisite you will probably find that you only need one or maybe two. J

Even if you can’t get to a farmers market, try to eat seasonally and pay attention to how it makes your body feel. There is something light and perfect about a tomato and basil salad, or grilled summer squash or prosciutto and melon or a big slice of watermelon. These are the foods to help remind us that it’s summer and that this is all just a big cycle. We are part of the life on earth and instead of always fueling our bodies with artificial ingredients, why not try giving it what Mother Nature intended.

Be Good to your Body, it’s where you Live

No comments:

Post a Comment