Sunday, March 7, 2010

Worth a Million Bucks

I was listening to a radio program yesterday about medicine. It was a comedy show discussing all the advances and ancient techniques for healing and helping. It was extremely funny and I found myself laughing out loud on the treadmill as I listened to it. There was one thing in particular that struck me and that I haven’t been able to get out of my head. One of the men on the show said,

“People treat their plasma TV’s better than they treat their own bodies.”

And we do! I live with a man and a plasma TV and I have the evidence. My BF, whom I love and who is probably reading this, is constantly telling me to stop touching the screen of the TV.

“Sarah, don’t touch the screen, you’ll get finger prints on it and it might get scratched.”

This is the same man who goes kite surfing even though he has a bad back. The kite surfing is doing to his back what my fingernail is doing to the TV screen. Ouch!

There is a man who lives down the street from me who owns a gorgeous vintage Rolls Royce. I see him all the time polishing his car with a pristine white cloth. He lovingly makes sure every inch of his baby is sparkling. He makes sure to drive the beauty a couple times a week to keep her in tip-top shape. He even has a little hand held vacuum cleaner just for her. I don’t know this man at all. I only say hi to him as I pass by while walking my dog, but I always ponder whether or not he takes care of himself just as good.

I am pretty good to me but even I am not that loving to me all the time. I pick at my nails, I eat too much sodium, I let stress get the best of me and I often don’t get enough sleep.

Now I am the queen of moderation so I don’t expect you to treat yourselves like a vintage rolls Royce all the time but when it comes to our health I think we could all try a little harder.

Everyone close your eyes and imagine that you are an expensive work of art. (You are by the way) Imagine that you just bid ten million dollars for yourself in a Sotheby’s auction (In this dream you have an extra ten million so please don’t let this sum stress you out) and you won. The Auctioneer presents you with your body and soul all wrapped up in tissue paper and silk and sends you on your way. So how do you treat your parcel? Do you sit on the sofa all day eating Cheetos? Do you smoke? Are you negative and self deprecating? Or would you take your body on walks because you know that exercise is good for you, drink water to flush out the toxins, sleep more in order to refresh your cells? Would you do things that make you feel good inside and out? Would you make sure to have regular doctor visits and once in awhile a massage? If you just paid 10 million dollars for your body would you drink soda for breakfast or tell yourself your not good enough? Hell no! You would do everything the instruction manual says. You would eat well, exercise, send your brain cells positive messages, smile, take vitamins, forgive, love, laugh, sleep, and the list goes on and on. You would take care of yourself the same way my neighbor takes care of his Rolls Royce and the same way my boyfriend takes care of his TV. You would treat yourself like ten million dollars.

It’s time you took a look at all the things you treat well in your life; the dog, the kids, the TV, the car, the jewelry, the laptop, the heirlooms from Grandma or the Franklin Mint Princess Diana collector’s doll and try to treat yourself a little more like the precious gift you are.

Be Good to your Body, it’s where you Live

No comments:

Post a Comment